Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Serena's Seizure 15 months

Well today started off great it was like any other day. Feb 25, 2014. We were playing in the front. It was nice out but not too warm. There was a bit of a breeze. Surprise surprise breeze and win in south Jordan. Serena had been toddling like any regular toddler. Shehad the cutest Levi skirt on with white legging and a light purple jacket. She walked over to the garage and fell. When he was on what I would call football knees she looked at her hands as if she hurt them. Started to cry a breathless cry. (The earliest I can think back to her doing this is about 9 months old) This wasn't the first breathless cry this morning. She had done a few short ones. I didn't think much of it because it was so common for her to cry a little purple then take a breath. I generally try to pick her up if she goes purple when crying because I don't want her to fall due to lack of oxygen. Obviously, I had to learn the hard way that she falls due to lack of air. Now I pick her up. 



Well this cry was different. She didn't take her normal breath or even go the extreme of passing out. She started seizing. My baby was having a seizure. I carrier her inside and my mom called 911. We checked the clock and it was 9:25.  
She seized for about 5-6 min. Her little body shook, her eyes were twitching. Her little tongue was twitching and she was taking short breaths. Mom says she was pale,  thankfully not purple. That could have been pretty scary if she was still purple. 
When she stopped seizing I laid her on her side. I talked to her but she was almost in this unconscious state. The same that happens after a long breathless cry. But this one seemed a little longer than usual. Once she came to she was hysterical. I think that's about the point the EMTS showed up. I know once I laid her down I could hear sirens. This hve me a great sense of security because I knew if by some crazy chance she stopped breathing they would be here soon enough to help. The whole time I was holding the phone the lady kept telling me to talk to Serena. I had my cheek by her lips to feel her breath. When I would talk to Serena the operator thought I was talking to her. I never corrected her but thought if they ever reviewed the tape they would think I was saying funny things to the operator. 
The EMTS walked in around 9:33. Which lead me to believe she was probably seizing for about 5-6 min. 
The flood of people was the first moment that I felt a little overwhelmed. I was quite calm the whole time and actually knew she was ok when they came in, I think it was just the amount of people and te flood of questions all at once that was overwhelming. 
After discussin options we decide to take an ambulance ride to the ER. I knew if I went with then she would he immediately checked in and she would have access to oxygen if anything were to happen. 
We rode to Jordan valley hospital. On the way I text Shawn and told him to call my mom. His response text made me laugh so I told te EMTS I needed to call him. I told him not to worry but Serena had a seizure and I was in an ambulance on te way to te ER. haha yeah, don't worry...I'm sure that was his first reaction.  I told him I'd get checke in and keep him updated. 

Things moved rather quickly it felt when we first checked in. They asked for a report from the emt, then took mine. She made a joke that baby medical history is way easy. It's funny because little people it's a tell me about the last 30 days not 30 years. 
Serena was so anxious anytime any medical staff walked in. She certainly didn't like gettig her IV and blood drawn. That was so sad. 

Right after the IV they brought a wheel chair, our own little chauffeur service. I held her hike they took is to a secure room. So I whipped out the camera because if it were an older child they would have been freaking out. 

We wheeled into the CT ROOM. I said you know there is no way she is laying on that he'd alone right?!  Kind of sarcastically, but I've never seen one of these and so I was hoping if be able to hold her somehow.  The lady said, we'll figure something out. Of which they did! 
They laid Serena on the table and put a lead gown on too of her. Her eyes were scared and glue to me. Whimpering and waiting for me I put a lead gown on my back. I had a hand on her the whole time. I then laid on top of her. I place my hands in a way that would hold her head and keep it from moving. As I laid there I saw in her eyes this look of stay with me mommy. It was a loon of pure trust that I would keep her safe. As I looked in her eyes I sang twinkle twinkle little star. We moved into the machine. There was a red light on us. The doctors& techs were behind the glass wall. The machine started to move. We did that 2 times. I didn't realize the scan would happen when we were moving. So I was holding her head tight inside the doughnut and not when we were coming out. They told me to hold her tighter. I realized, of course, duh, this is a scan. It scans as we move. So the second time I kept her head still as we were moving. And kept singing to her. 
Once the doctors and techs came back toget is off the table she started to panic again. But I was right there to pick her up and hold her. We caught another chauffeur ride on a classy wheelchair back to our room. 
At this point they brought us some crackers and juice. Serena must have been hungry because she really enjoyed the crackers. She kept wanting more. It was nice to have her back to her normal self. However part of the abnormality wa lots of unknown people and unknown procedures topped with a missed nap time. 

Rachel came down and visited us. That was a life-saver. We were bored sitting there with no toys only my wallet to tear apart. 

Rachel made Serena a bracelet which she didn't really want to wear but it was fun for a while. She gave her a syringe and a vile for blood samples to play with. That saved the day. A few curious new toys. She played with them for a long time. Even when we left. 



The PA came back and let us know that all the tests came back normal. She had been talking with te neurologist. They got me set up to go get Serena an EEG a few days later. 
I got board and made her some pigtails...
She will say cheese on command for a picture. Side note...
It was a whirlwind of information but for the most part we were just sitting there waiting for most of the day. 
Waiting for grandma to pick us up. 

This last picture says it all though. We got home and she and Tyson were just playing again like nothing ever happened. I let her run around for a bit before I laid her down for a much needed, well deserved nap. 


No comments:

Funny SNL We Love

Funny SNL We Love
Judy Grimes, Just Kidding. Click the picture to view

Another Favorite SNL

Another Favorite SNL
"So Peneope" Click the Picture to view the clip.

SNL Bless This Child

SNL Bless This Child
Click the picture to view the skit!!