Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Is This Really 2nd Grade?

Second grade is a favorite of mine. They are at a great age where they know how to act in school. They can read and do simple math. I enjoy teaching second grade!

I went into the classroom, read the notes and prepared myself for the day. I went to get the students. No problems! That's the easy stuff. They came in relatively quiet. Actually, they were not quiet at all. Not a single student knew what he or she was supposed to do. They did, however, turn in their planners and let me know they get candy after they do that.

The Real Story
We sat on the carpet. I was to point at some site words. (and, I, am, can, see, etc.) Most of the students couldn't even read them. I was a bit surprised. We started our reading groups and workshops. These kids couldn't sit for more than five minutes. I called the first group back and figured it must be the lowest kids in the class by their abilty to read. They didn't even know how to find the next word. Sounding out words was impossible. The next group came back. They were just as bad. This had to be the lowest 2ND grade class I had ever seen. There were a total of two kids who could actually read.

The Tattle-Tale
From the start of the day, every kid had tattled about something. It would not stop. I would ask the kids before they even talked if they were tattling. I had had it with all the tattle-tales. I went to the back of the classroom and said, "See Mr. Wolf (a picture on the wall) He wants to hear all your stories and tattle-tales. Tell him not me!" I couldn't believe that it actually worked. There was close to no tattling, but there was a line at the back of the classroom. Then I started to talk to Mr. Wolf. I said, "Mr. Wolf, if there is more than one student back here; you need to bite them." That really helped. It became a race for the kids. They knew that they had to be first to talk to him. After recess, the only student in the class who was at "grade level" said, "Mrs. Brown, I have to tell Mr. wolf something." It was pretty cute because she was the only student who could stay in her seat.

The Moral
I took my students to lunch. I was talking to a teacher who asked what teacher I was subbing for. I said, "Mrs. Hall's 2ND grade class." He responded with a puzzled look, "Doesn't she teach 1st grade?" I looked at him...and said, "That really explains a lot, I thought I had the lowest 2ND grade class I had ever seen."

I don't think that learning the truth about this class actually helped me. I am not made for 1st grade. They are something else. (Sure I could play one-on-one with them, that's different.) It takes a really patient, not sarcastic, super smiley person to teach 1st grade. I might have the patience, but I could never let go of a bit of my sarcasm. I just don't have that bubbly no matter what personality.

No comments:

Funny SNL We Love

Funny SNL We Love
Judy Grimes, Just Kidding. Click the picture to view

Another Favorite SNL

Another Favorite SNL
"So Peneope" Click the Picture to view the clip.

SNL Bless This Child

SNL Bless This Child
Click the picture to view the skit!!